About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Q is for QUINCE

Welcome to one of the hardest letters of the alphabet - Q as in queen, quarter, quarantine.  This week, I'm showing you some photos of quince, a fruit that I'd never heard of before.  I discovered it quite by accident last month (September) when I took a drive out to Westham Island Herb Farm - a regular destination of mine.

I was able to get a parking spot right alongside the corn patch that left me only a short walk to the entrance.  However, just as I got out of the car, a photo op presented itself.  This (what I thought was an apple tree with one of the farm buildings behind.
I took another look and thought, "Oh it must be some type of pear."  But later, as I was leaving, I noticed a little tag on the tree so I took a look and discovered it was a "bourgeot quince."  Once home, I looked it up online and discovered it's something like a cross between a sweet apple and a pear.  Now I have never tasted a quince, but it sure sounds delicious and from now on, I'll keep an eye out for them in the stores.

Apparently, most varieties of quince grow in hotter climates, but the "bourgeot" is acclimatized to British Columbia's sometimes cold winters.  If you are interested in reading more about the quince here is a great website from the BC Living Magazine.


Have quintessentially great week, everyone!  Many thanks to Melody and her team of assistants for keeping ABC Wednesday alive.

8 comments:

ABC-Wednesday said...

You should have a bit or two ;-) They are delicious, to me at least, and I don't like apples by the way

Have a splendid, ♥-warming ABC-WEDNES-day / – week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/21-Q

Joy said...

The owl and the pussy cat liked them because they dined on mince, and slices of quince, which they ate with a runcible spoon.
I've never seen one that size before although the flowering quince bush which is a different type is grown a lot in gardens here, pretty when it flowers and tough as old boots.

Roger Owen Green said...

Every 6 months, I see quince on ABC Wednesday, and each time, I say I should try that!

ROG

Beverley Baird said...

I've heard of it but have never sampled it at all - but it does sound good.
Geat choice for Q

Play Bazaar said...

satta king Use the Internet when you are seeking a reliable home security company.

prince said...

play bazaar and you will have the option to see chapter 11 out of another,

Unknown said...

a solitary outing, there might be nothing more terrible than having your baggage pursuing you around simultaneously as you go without smooth clothing.
AAPKI NEWS

Satta King said...

satta king
play bazaar Kyun pyaar karne ki hadein hoti hein
Kyun dil dene ki waje hoti hein
Kyun jazbaaton ko dabana padta hai
Kyun iss dil ko samjana padta hai
Kyun har dil ko ye mehsoos nahin hota
Kyun sabko ye manzoor nahin hota
Kyun dil se dil nahin milta
Kyun pyaar ka phool nahin khilta
Kyun dil ke naghme dil nahin gaata
Dil mein kya hai ye keh nahin pata
Kya dil dene ki yahi saza hai
Kya pyaar karne mein yahi mazaa hai