About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

B is for BURRARD INLET, BRIDGES, BEACHES

Welcome to the 2nd installment of ABC Wednesday's Round 15.  This week, we will look at Burrard Inlet, two bridges that cross it and some beaches in Vancouver.  First, Burrard Inlet is a shallow coastal fjord located in southwestern British Columbia that was formed during the last Ice Age.  It separates the city of Vancouver from the slopes of the North Shore Mountains where you will find the communities of West and North Vancouver.  Two major bridges span the inlet - the Lions Gate Bridge and the Second Narrows (or Ironworkers Bridge).  Please note that all the photos this week are courtesy of Google.  None are my photos.
 
Under the Burrard Bridge is Granville Island, a wonderful place to poke around at the public market, view arts and culture, and perhaps purchase a unique gift. You also might like to stop in at a wonderful restaurant called "Bridges," where you can sit outside on the patio under bright yellow umbrellas to shield you from the hot sun.  While you enjoy your repast, watch the boats - lots of yachts to see here.
Since Vancouver is on the west coast of British Columbia, beaches abound.  On the north side of Burrard Inlet is Ambleside and Dundarave Beaches.  From this vantage point, you can watch cruise ships pass under the Lions Gate Bridge on their way to Alaska and, on windy days, watch surfers.
Coming to the southern side of Burrard Inlet, you'll find downtown Vancouver and English Bay beach.  Palm trees line the beautiful lawns and flower beds along the street and lead to sandy expanses with views across the bay.  Notice the tree growing out of the roof of the condominium to the right.  After swimming or sunbathing, simply cross the street for a sumptuous meal at the Boathouse Restaurant.

Continuing south over the Granville Street Bridge, we come to Kitsilano Beach where you'll find an actual salt water pool (the longest pool in Canada) alongside a beautiful sandy beach.  This is one of the most popular beaches in Vancouver with its spectacular views.
We continue west along the seaside of Burrard Inlet to find another beach - Jericho Beach - with its views to the east of downtown Vancouver and to the north to West Vancouver.  Beach volleyball is popular here.
Next in line is Locarno Beach, which is designated a "quiet beach" with no amplified sound allowed.  It is named after a Peace Conference held in Locarno, Switzerland in 1925 and there are concessions, volleyball courts, picnic tables and a swimming raft complete with couch.  It also has a view of downtown Vancouver and West Vancouver across the water. 
Finally, we come to Spanish Banks, so named "in commemoration of the meeting of the English under George Vancouver and the Spanish under Galiano and Valdés in June 1792." (Wikipedia)  There are three sections to this great expanse of beach:  the east section, the west section, and the expanded section.  Barbecues are permitted everywhere, there are volleyball courts in the east and west sections and a kite-boarding launch zone in the expanded section, which also allows dogs to be off leash.  Also, the west section is designated as a "quiet zone."  At low tide, the water is a kilometer off shore. It is at Spanish Banks where, when I was 5-years-old, let loose a blood-curdling scream when I knelt on a broken beer bottle at the edge of the water.  Stitches were needed and to this day, I sport a scar that runs 2 1/2 inches down from my right knee!
 
We come to the end of the city beaches, but let me tell you that there are lots more beaches in the area.  I live just south of the city and we have our own Centennial Beach that borders on Boundary Bay, so called because it borders the USA.  There are also fresh-water beaches at lakes, like Burnaby Lake right within the city limits.  To read more about this lake just click here.

I hope you'll pardon me if I boast a bit that we had 72 posters for the letter A in Round 15.  Here's hoping that even more people will join in and enjoy the camaraderie we have here.  Please remember the bright and beautiful Mrs. Nesbitt, our creator, and the brilliant and boundlessly blessed Roger, our administrator.  Don't forget that anyone can be on the team, if you don't mind visiting and commenting on about 10 posts per week.  So let Roger know you're a believer in ABCW and ready to begin!

23 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Beautiful beach.
I find long bridges frankly miraculous.

ROG, ABCW

Chris said...

Hi Lesley, some amazing photos.. Strange but I have never thought of Canada as a sea side place.. perhaps we should put it on our list of places to visit? They are beautiful and look so pure.
Thank you for your comments on my blog, I do put the quilt on top of the duvet in the winter.. in the summer it is best on a sheet instead of the duvet as it is too hot otherwise, or when we keep the summer weight duvet I take the quilt off.
It is nice to have it folded in half on our feet on the duvet in the winter.
I think I have the quilting bug!
Hope all is well with you and Lorne is in good health and your ankle is properly healed.
Blessings Chris x

Trubes said...

Hello my beautiful friend Leslie.
What a delightful writing about the bridges and beaches around Vancouver. You are truly blessed to live in such a bountiful place.
I so long to holiday in or around Vancouver,
Bye for now,
love di..xxx I think I've managed to link up but I wanted to put my FB picture on instead there's a picture of the Mersey ferryboat...Hey Hum !

Indrani said...

I am just back from a beach trip. Good choice for B. :) Great pics.

Hildred said...

Great memories, - thanks for a wonderful post, Leslie.

ellen b. said...

Such great photos of these areas. Makes me want to hop up to B.C.

Anita Sabat said...

Lovely to read this, Leslie.
There are many beaches in this part of the world.
India has awesome beaches too :)

1 Query- Can we post multiple entries in 1 round. For example, I have already posted by entry for 'B' & now am I eligible to post more?

Reader Wil said...

Beautiful beaches and bridges and other b-words!
Wil, ABCW Team

Berowne said...

In a word, marvelous...

Unknown said...

Lovely photos Leslie. I live Seattle a bit south of you and never knew Vancouver was a beachy destination! Gotta Love it!....And must mention you almost knocked off all the summer B's BBQ, Bridge, Banks, Beaches, Beach bummers....It's all Beautiful! Great talent...

Photo Cache said...

it's too beautiful. if i'm not living in sf bay area, i would be living in vancouver or suburbs.

frankly my dear

Uppal said...

hi Leslie,

Thanks for sharing some lovely pics of beaches and bridges in BC.It is a beautiful state.I had the good fortune of visiting many tourist places in BC. One of my unforgettable memories is that of going to Victoria by the famous ferry. And the 'Buchard Garden' and its magical kaleidoscope bowled me over.

Gattina said...

Looks very interesting and beautiful !
Gattina
ABC Team

Lmkazmierczak said...

Loved your post! We visited Vancouver in June and I recognized several spots♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/bumblebee-5/

Tanya Breese said...

great spots for summer!

Ann said...

You have everything in one place, mountains, salt water, beaches, lush greenery. What a perfect place to go!
Ann

fredamans said...

I've been out east and all over central Canada, but haven't made it out west yet. Looks like I should soon though. :-)

betty-NZ said...

Such a lovely bunch of B's!

ChrisJ said...

I've been visiting Birds Bikes and Beasts who posts so many photos of Vancouver. I've been there briefly but had no idea it was such a beautiful city.

Black Jack's Carol said...

You found some wonderful photos of the bridges and beaches around us, Leslie. We are indeed so fortunate, and not surprising that you and I both love to celebrate where we live. You might be surprised, though, that I picked up some new information from your post. Even living so close by, I did not know that Kits Pool is filled with salt water. How could I have missed that? Thanks for a great post :)

Powell River Books said...

We hurry through Vancouver so often that we don't get to see the sights. When I took care of Mom, I had time for periodic overnighters and enjoyed some time on Granville Island and down in Steveston. - Margy

ChrisJ said...

P.S. I went back and took a look at some of your previous entries -- especially the letter Z. I have to echo all that you say about Zorro, but I am especially happy you posted the song "I want to spend my lifetime loving you." I didn't remember it from back then, but it is a beautiful song. Thank you so much. And would you believe I had never heard of Marc Anthony until today! Sometimes I'm so out of it!

Alex moner said...

I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.pool maintenance nj