About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Y is for Year 2014

Happy New Year everyone!  I thought really hard about what to write this week and after reading an article in our Vancouver Sun newspaper, I thought I'd share some "Canadianisms" that leave other English speakers confused.

1. Mickey - I think most Americans would think of "Mickey Mouse" or a particular date rape drug, but you're wrong!  In Canada, a mickey is a 375-mL bottle of liquor.  It's quite common to say, "Let's pick up a mickey on our way to the party."  Other liquor-related "isms are "two four" (a case of 24 beer), "twenty-sixer" (a 750 mL bottle of liquor), and "forty-pounder" (a 1.14 litre bottle of liquor).






2. Toque - Canadians wear toques for half the year (well, not in my little corner of Lotusland).  They're knitted caps. By the way, it's pronounced "tooook."





 3. Freezies - These are popsicles that come in a plastic sleeve.  Kids everywhere in Canada beg for freezies all summer long.  Moms buy them in cases and store them in their garage freezers.

 4. Pablum - This is a food product made of a mixture of bone meal, corn meal, vitamins and grains that you mix with warm water to feed babies.  (Of course, one could also use "Pablum" to refer to Justin Trudeau's speeches as he tries to garner support for the federal Liberal party but that's another story.)







5. Parkade - In the United States, these are called parking garages or parking decks.  They are multi-storied areas in downtown - where you park your car so you can shop at the adjoining mall.

 6.  Pencil Crayons - Americans call these "coloured pencils" and the British call the "colouring pencils." It's possible the term came from the French "crayon de couleur."



7. Robertson screwdriver - This screwdriver was invented by P.L. Robertson (from Ontario) and is superior to its Phillips-head cousins.  Only 16% of Commonwealth people and 5% of Americans recognized the name.




 8. Hooped - 54% of Canadians use this term to mean "broken" or "useless" as in if your car's engine is seized, the car's hooped.  This is purely a western Canadian expression.
With that, you start out the New Year with a bit more trivia to add to your repertoire.  Hope everyone has a wonderful 2014.
Thanks to Denise, Roger and the entire team at ABC Wednesday for their hard work and support.

25 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I knew toque from the McKenzie brothers singing the 12 Days of Christmas.

Roger Owen Green said...

I knew toque from the McKenzie brothers singing the 12 Days of Christmas.

mrsnesbitt said...

My SIL's partner will love this - him being a Canadian now here in UK. xxxx
Happy New Year Leslie xxxx

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

Oh what fun!

And wishing you 2014 bring continued good health, peace, joy and all you might wish for.

photowannabe said...

Delightful words I had never heard before.
Isn't it strange how we tangle the same words into different meanings?

Here's wishing you a wonderful, peaceful and healthier new year.

Sue

Nonnie said...

I knew 'toque', but I would have pronounced it with a long 'o' as in "go." mea culpa! or "my bad" as the youngsters say. If only I could remember all you shared...
I love the differences in the English language which depends on where one lives.
Back in the olden days of my undergraduate studies, I had a linguistics class. Our teacher would have us to define words in order to tell us where we grew up. ie. I was born in southern Indiana, but raised in central Indiana. And he was spot on for me!

Carver said...

I knew some of these but others were new to me. Happy New Year!

Richard Lawry said...

I need to brush up on my Canadian, eh. Happy New Year from An Arkie's Musings

Photo Cache said...

very educational post. i know of toque only.

happy new year.

ewok

magiceye said...

A lot of new terms for me :)

Wish you and yours a brilliant 2014!!

Lea said...

Very interesting, and glad to get the correct pronunciation for Toque. We get Pablum from our politicians, too!
Happy New Year!
Lea

Rajesh said...

Wish you Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Louisette said...

Interesting educational post.Have a Happy Year with your familie and yours 2 small children all 2014.
。❊ * 。❊ 。 ❊ _█_ ❊ 。 * ❊
_Π_____ (•.•) * 5☆★☆★☆
❊ /______/~\ ( ♥ ) ❊ Happy first Day ❊
|田 田 |門| ( ♥ ) New Year 2014❊
•♫♥♫*♥*♪♥♫•♪*♥♫•♫♥♫*♥*♪♥♫•♪*♥•♫♥♫*♥*♪
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Golden-retriever-de-Louisette/207956535894302

http://blog.seniorennet.be/louisette/

Ann said...

I love the word hooped, maybe I'll try and use it!!
Ann

Anonymous said...

Fun post to start the new year! A Parkade sounds loads more fun than a parking garage!

Joy said...

I like the word freezies, a perfect description. I always love learning new words like these. You are right about the coloured pencils use in the UK but to confuse we do use the word crayon, but only for the waxy type.
Happy New Year.

Reader Wil said...

Hi Leslie, wishing you from sweltering Oz a happy new year, and hopefully a better year in respect to your health situations.

Nevin said...

Interesting post! Learned quite some new stuffs here. Happy New year!

MaR said...

Happy New Year!! interesting post and lots of new things :)

Y is for...

Nabanita said...

Ohh Lots of new things for me, interesting to read :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thank you for the lesson! HNY, Leslie. xx

lotusleaf said...

I knew only the screwdriver.
Happy New Tear!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I always feel enlightened after reading through the various ABC Wednesday blogs. /:-) Happy New Year!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

no toook here, we wear a beanie. Must be so cold how.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Loved the lesson Leslie, think more of these would be fun :-)