About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, August 23, 2010

F is for Flowers

This summer, Lorne was able to spend quite a bit of time in the garden since he can't work due to his chemotherapy. I think the gardening has been a form of therapy for him because he can get into creating beautiful things for me to admire and for him to forget for a while what he has to endure right now. Our roses did extremely well in the front garden, but the two in the back have been a bit disappointing - we only got a few blooms on them. Lorne also planted several varieties of lilies, which did very well, and we could admire them from the dining room window. His baskets of fuschias flourished again this year with gorgeous blooms and my clematis climbed the fence and gave us numerous blossoms. Here's a little slideshow I created showing some of our flowers from the summer of 2010. One of these days I'll learn how to add music to my slideshows. Oh, and if you double click on the slideshow, you can see it in full screen. Enjoy! And if you wouldn't mind mentioning, which is your favourite flower or photo?




33 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

Leslie, they were all just lovely, but you want me to pick my favorite. I would have to say all the roses were great, but number 7, was a beautiful pink with the edge a bit darker, it was my favorite of all the flowers. That was a difficult one, because, like I said they are all beautiful. A great choice of Flowers for F day.

nancygrayce said...

What pretty flowers! I think roses are beautiful. For an arrangement, I think nothing is prettier than a mixture of roses of different colors!

Mickle in NZ said...

So many beautiful flowers! The fuschias are lovely and the lilies so very striking. Well done Leslie and lorne, such a great way to heal and grow well again.

Carver said...

Flowers is a great idea for the theme. I love flowers so much but didn't even think of that for the letter F.

Carver said...

PS I forgot to mention how beautiful your flowers are. I love the roses but I think the lavender color clematis is my favorite.

Vinay Leo R. said...

the third photo i think was the best.. :) but all are so good, its difficult to pick too.. can u number them or something next time, Leslie? so its easier to know the pic we've to choose as favorite? :D else numbers don't stick while seeing this beauty!

My ABCW Post

Rune Eide said...

If you have green fingers, gardening must be a grand for for therapy. For me it was photography - and it seems to be working.

Sylvia K said...

Such lovely and colorful flowers! And perfect for the F Day! I can see why they would be such good therapy for Lorne, glad he enjoys them! Hope you both have a Fantastic week!

Sylvia

MorningAJ said...

Was that Clematis "Nelly Moser" I noticed in there? It's gorgeous.

Hildred said...

Lovely slide Leslie, - how can one choose between such beautiful flowers, but I am very partial to lilies and love your dark red one.

Cezar and Léia said...

Bonjour!
C'est magnifique!
Your vide is beautiful, I'm always enchanted by flowers and their sweet energy!
Happy ABC Wednesday
Léia - Bonjour Luxembourg

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Beautiful bouquet (so to speak) of flowers!
That is the sad part about the pending change of seasons when we say farewell to those flowers until next year.

Carol said...

Beautiful! Loved the slide show. If these flowers are all around your house, we need a full view! Its difficult to pick one fave they are all beautiful. The baskets of fushias...

Carol said...

Forgot to say...the fountain doesn't roar and I don't know why. It is also visible from the interstate highway...

Kay L. Davies said...

Beautiful slideshow of beautiful flowers, Leslie. The red lilies are stunning.
Glad Lorne's garden is proving therapeutic. And things grow so wonderfully where you live. They don't call it "Delta" for nothing, all that rich soil brought downstream by the Fraser.
Obviously, this year's heat and drought haven't affected your garden too much. Your flowers are great. When I was "home" in White Rock this month visiting friends and family, I couldn't believe the heat. Meanwhile, here in southeastern Alberta, it's been rainy and cool with only the occasional hot day.

Willa said...

What's the world without Flowers?Lovely!

photowannabe said...

I'm so glad you have a garden for Lorne to work in. I think its a wonderful therapy which you also get the benefits of.
Beautiful flowers. I especially liked #8 rose, #12 lilly and #20 fushias.
Nice post Leslie.

Reader Wil said...

Fabulous slide, Leslie! Your roses are lovely. Thanks for your visit. No, it was not cold in the train and the lower we got, the warmer it was.

Ray said...

The roses are lovely, but I really admired the fuchsias, the lilies, the chrysanths etc.

Well done and I hope that your husband grts through the chemotherapy.

Ray

Annelie said...

A beautiful slideshow indeed!

Annelie E
ABC Wednesday Team

Roger Owen Green said...

Floratherapy - I like it. Probably works, too.
On behalf of ABC Wednesday team, thank you! - ROG

Amy said...

Leslie, I like Roger's word, "floratherapy." Love the roses, but the fuchsia and clematis really got me!

Verna Luga said...

those are pretty blooms ... flowers are inspiration ..love them..

My ABC Wednesday here
And Here Too
hope you can drop by, Have A Nice Day!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I love flowers, they just freshen us up.

Today, i took some snowdrops to my adult class because a student had them on her business card. A student from Hong Kong says in Chinese, they call it hanging bells.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site leslieinvancan.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Cheryl said...

There's something about the reddish roses against the brick wall that really captured a moment for me. The close-up on the pink rose (2nd I think) was stunning.

My cousin grew a vegetable garden during chemo and radiation. It was his meditation and his way of keeping connected to the earth when all else was out of control.

Lovely post to honor the work Lorne did to find some peace.

Tumblewords: said...

I love the second clematis - they are my faves! But, there are no ugly flowers...right? Great gardening shots.

Marina said...

Your photo album is beautiful and I must confence I'm a rose-lover!!!

Wendy said...

I loved this! Gardening and beautiful flowers ARE very therapeutic...I also love animals and books and B.C. a lot in common :)

Beverley Baird said...

What a great way to showcase your flowers! I love them all - but the roses edge out as my favourite!
Have been away - hope all is well with you.
take care.

Bradley Hsi said...

Wow, you really have green thumb. They are so pretty.

sally in norfolk said...

wow what a fantastic garden you must have ... all beautiful but i especially liked the lillies :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Lovely slideshow.