About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Friday, February 05, 2010

Country Fair

The school from which I'm retired had a Country Fair today. It was a bit of a play on words because it was to do with the OLYMPICS. Each class was assigned a country to study and they all had to do a display and an oral presentation on what aspect of their country they'd studied. One of my tutoring students was involved, so I promised I'd go and see her and I'm so glad I did. Not only were the displays fantastic, but all the teachers were dressed as airline hosts/hostesses. I got some photos, but will show here only the ones without children in them. I didn't get shots of all the countries, but here are just a few.

First, Australia, done by a Grade One student
complete with a kangaroo pelt.


















Of course, I had to photograph the France display, since I used to be their French teacher. Plus here's an excellent display about Germany, done by a former student who is now in Grade 8.




















And here is my tutoring student's display all about Swiss foods. She had lots of cheese and chocolate to taste and she even had a little warming tray to melt a piece of Raclette cheese that she put on top of a piece of cooked baby potato. It was DELICIOUS! And then we have a few shots of some displays about Canada and its careers, culture, and foods.

















Please make sure you click on the photos to see the details. For example, the next one on the left shows some First Nations culture complete with beaded moccasins, a piece of birch bark, and a replica of a canoe. The boy also trimmed his display to look as though it were framed with wood.


















The students obviously had a great time with their displays (plus the fact that they got out of classroom work for two hours today.) Next Tuesday, the Olympic torch is coming to our little village and there will be street entertainment right on the grounds of this school. So my daughter and I will be heading down with our Canadian flag and cameras to catch as much of the excitement as possible. I'm also going to wear my Canada hockey jersey (with Lorne's permission, of course). So stay tuned for next week's ABC Wednesday and I'll post some photos if I get any good ones.

5 comments:

nancygrayce said...

How sweet of you to go for your student and how great their projects are! You have a lot of excitement going on with the Olympics and the wedding!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Brilliant projects, well done to all. You are going to have lots of fun next tuesday , lots of excitement :-)

Louis la Vache said...

Yes! Francophile «Louis» applauds the French display!
;-)

sally in norfolk said...

so much excitement :-)

Nishant said...

You have a lot of excitement

Work from home India