About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Holiday Fun

Scroll down for ABC Wednesday X
I haven't had a chance to share with you about my wonderful Christmas. Christmas Eve started out with a candlelight service at my church, accompanied by the new man in my life. I introduced him to many of my friends there and one couple actually said to him, "You two look good together." Who'da thunk it? *big grin* We opened our gifts to each other and were delighted with them. I cooked a nice dinner for us as I felt it wasn't fair that he should cook and then have to go to work graveyard shift. Normally, he cooks (gourmet, I should add) and I'm just the queen awaiting service. lol
My son-in-law picked me up Christmas Day afternoon and I spent the rest of the day with my two daughters and son-in-law, along with his parents and the two grandchildren. What a wonderful time watching Noah open his gifts. He was even thrilled with his new pyjamas that I gave him - they're WallE pjs that he can wear while he watches his new WallE dvd. He also loved his new doctor kit and the board game Operation - he had to put on his new ID pin and went around checking us out to make sure we're all healthy. Eden loved her musical ball and her soft little barn with four animals that "talk" when you squeeze them. And she looked adorable in her Christmas outfit.

















































(left: Auntie Jaclyn plays with her niece and nephew)
(right: Jamie with her darling daughter)



Dinner was traditional with turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, pineapple rice salad and green salad with cranberries and nuts, plus a corn casserole. For dessert, my younger daughter made rum balls from scratch and served them with a bit of vanilla ice-cream. No one here likes Christmas pudding - far too heavy after a big meal. I enjoyed my annual Bailey's on ice before dinner and white wine with dinner. Oh - and we also wore our silly little paper crowns, too. Notice that Jason fell asleep after dinner with his still on.

















On Boxing Day, L and I braved the blizzard and drove all the way to Horseshoe Bay to spend time with his best friends and watch the first Junior Hockey League championship game - Canada against *oh jeez, I don't remember!* Too much champagne that night! heh heh Then Saturday we met another of his best friends and wife for lunch - apparently I passed the test. The wife and I hit it off immediately! Then Sunday, L and I went shopping at Toys R Us for Noah's birthday present (he was a New Year's Day baby and is turning 5). After that, we went to a beautiful secluded spot along the river and watched the colours of the sky as the sun went behind the clouds and set. Unfortunately, neither of us had thought to bring our camera but we'll go back another time and get some good shots. And before heading home, we stopped at Speed's Neighbourhood Pub for a drink, sitting at a table overlooking the river with boats all lit up with Christmas lights - very romantic.
Back to reality Monday, and this weekend will be the last one for me to go out and have fun - at least for a while. The big day is next Tuesday, when I'll finally get the surgery to fix my lower spine. I'll be in the hospital for at least 4 days but as soon as I get home, I'll let you all know how much better I already feel - yeah right! heh heh Seriously, though, I can hardly wait until it's all over and on April 6 I'll be able to remove the brace. Life will begin again in earnest that day!

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year and may 2009 be the best ever!

21 comments:

Reader Wil said...

You've certainly enjoyed yourselves! What a wonderful family you have and I am glad that you are happy again with your new man in your life. I wish you a very happy life together. First of all I wish you a great new year!

Chris said...

What a lovely family and wow about about the man in your life.
May all your dreams come true in 2009!
Happiness and Health and LOVE!
Chris x

CherryPie said...

Sounds like you had a great time :-)

Happy New Year to you and yours xx

Mickle in NZ said...

Dear Leslie, thank you for sharing insights into your very beautiful, caring and loving family.

And welldone - rediscovering L at such an important time in your life. Your happiness just shines through your posts. and Happiness is such a boost to the endorphins etc.... for the healing time you're facing from 13 January.

I feel so much is positive for you. And hope the snow has stopped (was 25c degrees here on the thirty oneth of December)

Snuggles, care, huggles and much love, Michelle from Wellington, NZ.

Jo said...

What a great family you have! Noah and Eden are just gorgeous!

Happy New Year and all the best for 2009 - and beyond! If you and L. are meant to be, perhaps, then, there truly are angels amongst our midst. *heh*

Clarice ♥

Barbara said...

Sounds like Christmas was a really good one seeing all the important people in your life.

Good luck with the back surgery, I will be thinking about you.

Ellee Seymour said...

Leslie, you look stunning and really happy with your family. I hope you all have a wonderful New Year.

Yolanda said...

Hope you have a wonderful new year.

Ruth W. said...

Happy New Year to you also Leslie, I just have this feeling that it will be a VERY good year for you.

Can't believe how big the kids are getting, and so happy to see Noah back with his curly hair.

Pear tree cottage! said...

Leslie, I wish you and ALL! your lovely family The blessings of a wonderful New Year. May all your hopes and dreams come true today and always.

I know I have not visited you on your blog often in the past months but with Rob being so very ill and work taking much time in my life it has been hard to be faithful to my friendships in the land of blogging but you know I can say not a week has gone past were I have not thought about you, your daughters and beautiful grandchildren..........so on this note I truly do wish you a wonderful 2009.

Lee-ann in Australia.

Pear tree cottage! said...

Leslie, I wish you and ALL! your lovely family The blessings of a wonderful New Year. May all your hopes and dreams come true today and always.

I know I have not visited you on your blog often in the past months but with Rob being so very ill and work taking much time in my life it has been hard to be faithful to my friendships in the land of blogging but you know I can say not a week has gone past were I have not thought about you, your daughters and beautiful grandchildren..........so on this note I truly do wish you a wonderful 2009.

Lee-ann in Australia.

jmb said...

Happy New Year to you Leslie. I do hope all goes well for your operation and you are a new woman.

nancygrayce said...

Happy New Year to you! I think this year will smile on you!!! I'll be praying that your surgery goes just right. love, nancy

Trubes said...

Lovely family pics. Leslie.
I'm so happy for you and wish you all the very best for 2009.

Di.xx

Ruth L.~ said...

Ahhh . . . I took a "snowday" and you were going on a date. Now I see it's more. Makes me smile. Happy New Year.

Smalltown RN said...

OH Leslie that all sounds so wonderful and your photos are great and you look so happy....yippee....I know you are a little anxious about your up coming surgery....but you are a trooper and will come through it all with flying colours...now take some advice...let that new man of yours spoil you...and pamper you..your going to need assistance and don't be afraid to ask...

I am sending some Reiki your way and will be optomistic that things go well.....look forward to hearing from you when you are home...cheers...

antigoni said...

I'm so happy to see all these smiling faces. I wish you all the best for you and your family. Happy new year with love, health, happiness and many more wonderful posts.

Liz Hinds said...

It all sounds lovely. Be happy.

Prayers and thoughts for the op. xx

Mary Ellen said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! Your grandkids are absolutely adorable.

I didn't know about your upcoming surgery. I wish the best to you for a quick recovery.

Just think, by the time the brace is off it will be Spring and you can enjoy some nice long walks in the warm sun.

Take care, kiddo.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry I've come so late to this post. Glad you had such a wonderful Christmas and my thoughts are with you today. xx

Cedar said...

Cool, they are letting Noah's curls grow out. I missed them.