About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Proust Questionnaire

Josie over at C'est la vie recently challenged her readers to do the Proust Questionnaire, a regular feature in Vanity Fair magazine. I'm up for the challenge, so here goes:

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Lying on the wharf by the lake, feeling the warmth of the sun on my body and the gentle sway as passing boats create waves. All I can hear is the lapping of the water on the sandy beach, the distant sound of children laughing, and birds singing. All I can smell is my coconut-scented suntan lotion. If I open my eyes, I can see the brilliant blue sky and a few cotton ball clouds standing immobile in the late afternoon sun.

What is your greatest fear?
Being surrounded by snakes.

Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Queen Elizabeth I – she had inner strength yet was feminine but because of circumstances beyond her control, missed out on the greatness of love.

Which living person do you most admire?
Queen Noor of Jordan. I admire her activities to address national changes in education, health, sustainable development, women’s empowerment, human rights and cross cultural understanding. Her official website is: http://www.noor.gov.jo/index.htm
I also admire Bill Mahr for the unabashed way he says it like it is…to him. He makes me laugh and want to smack him - at the same time.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Fear of failure

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
arrogance

What is your greatest extravagance?
Makeup and earrings

What is your favorite journey?
To the airport when I’m leaving for Europe.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Impartiality – it’s impossible to be impartial about everything in life.

On what occasion do you lie?
I lie to avoid doing something I don’t want to do or to keep from hurting someone’s feelings.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?
My belly

Which living person do you most despise?
My former brother-in-law

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
"Idiot" about other drivers

What is your greatest regret?
That I didn’t take more chances when I was young.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
I loved my husband, but hope I’ll have another chance at love. Maybe it'd be better the second time around. Right now it would be my children and grandchildren.

Which talent would you most like to have?
To play the piano

What is your current state of mind?
Relaxed

If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
That my sisters could and would remember only the good times and forget the bad.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Bringing up my two daughters alone.

If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
Well, I don’t believe in reincarnation, but if it could happen I guess I’d hope to come back as a cheetah. I’ve always wanted to run like the wind but can’t.

If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be?
Me - for another chance at a better life.

What is your most treasured possession?
The opal and diamond ring my husband gave me for Christmas one year.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Clinical depression - I have seen first hand how terrible it it.

Where would you like to live?
The English countryside.

What is your favorite occupation?
teacher or writer

What is your most marked characteristic?
Inner strength

What are the qualities you most like in a man?
Sense of humour, intelligence, gentleness, faithfulness

What are the qualities you most like in a woman?
Sense of humour, intelligence, gentleness. loyalty

What do you most value in your friends?
Loyalty.

Who are your favorite writers?
Too many to mention

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Meggie in "The Thorn Birds"

Who are your heroes in real life?
I don’t have heroes per se, but I admire people who are able to get through hard times with grace and dignity.

What are your favorite names?
Noah and Eden

What is it that you most dislike?
Arrogance, poverty, fear, olives

How would you like to die?
gently, surrounded by my loved ones

What is your motto?
This, too, shall pass.

6 comments:

Belizegial said...

Leslie,

Belated congrats on the birth of your granddaughther, Eden.

She is adorable and Sir Noah looks delighted at the new arrival.

All the best to the new parents and you!

Cheers,
Enid

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What a great post, Leslie. I am with you on so much of this qnd that last one was something my Great Aunt , who lived with us, used to say all the time! I love your "cheetah" thought.

Love the pic in the sidebar, too!

thinking of you in Sicily, my friend. xx

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

PS: Meant to add that I agree about make-up and earrings, too!

Ellee Seymour said...

You certainly like some unusual names, and Eden is another one not commonly heard in the UK. This is a great post and says so much about you and your qualities.

Janice Thomson said...

Great post Grandma Leslie ;) - it's always a treat to know more about one's blogger friends. Love the quote - it's one of my favorites too

jmb said...

Wonderful post Leslie. Well done. Good insights to yourself.