About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Happy Groundhog Day


According to lore, if the groundhog emerges from his burrow on February 2 and sees his shadow, he will be frightened back into his hole, presaging another six weeks of winter. A cloudy day -- and no shadow -- means winter will end early.

The results so far:

Shubnedacadie Sam (Nova Scotia): Spring

Punxsutawney Phil (Pennsylvania): Winter

Wiarton Willie (Ontario): Spring

General Beauregard Lee (Georgia): Spring

Balzac Billy (Alberta): Spring

Buckeye Chuck (Ohio): Spring

Staten Island Chuck (New York state): Spring

Malverne Mel (New York state): Spring

Woody Woodchuck (Michigan): Spring

Ms. G. (Massachusetts): Winter


I'm not sure about around here. I guess it depends what time the groundhog poked its head out of its hole. It wouldn't have seen its shadow this morning, but it would see it now as it's beautiful and sunny. One can only hope!

9 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Melbourne, Australia: Dunno, we get four seasons in one day!!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I never knew the meaning of "groundhog day" before!

BBC said...

I don't pay any attention to the tales and just take it the way it comes at me.

MedStudentWife said...

hehehe.. I think we win (see my post note to my blog about this :) )

Its going to be good (in my mind's eye).

YEAH SPRING !!!!

geewits said...

It's the end of winter because today I did the winter shear of my legs. And wore shorts.

Casdok said...

I didnt know its meaning either.

Michele said...

Never beleived in it but it was always fun to play along with. I don't think they have a groundhog for BC, do they? I don't know but either way, I'm ready for spring NOW... hehe... so bring it on. Fun post.

Nancy said...

It looks like more winter for me. I would be happy with one more snow. Cute cartoon... thanks for sharing.

Ruth L.~ said...

If you count to March 20--spring, and my birthday-- it's six weeks either way.