About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Bloggettes

The other day I got news that one of the original "bloggettes" (Ellen aka DrOma) had passed away suddenly. Since then, a lot of us have been emailing back and forth and trying to get in touch with each other. I've kept my blog going since the days of the SB and have made connections with so many other people out there in cyber space. It's been great fun but I really miss all you original bloggettes.

A few others, like Sylvia, Peg, and Enid have also kept their blogs going and we keep in touch periodically. It seemed as though so many others had just quietly gone back to the lives they had BSB, but in light of the death of one of "us," some are reaching out trying to find each other again.

I'd love to have everyone reconnect to let each other know what's been going on with them. So I'm putting up this post to invite you to check in to say howdy, and maybe someone will be interested in arranging a reunion of sorts (sans SB). My mother told me and I've always reminded my daughters that "men may come and men may go, but girlfriends are forever." So many of us have become such good friends, even some we haven't even met in person yet. So let's not allow these friendships to fade away. Go to http://theadventuroushearts.com/ that Brenda aka ClickGirl set up to find the blogs that she linked up. We can all comment there OR you can come on over here and I'll be happy to play hostess for a while. Simply put this site under your favourites and come on back any old time.

I can hardly wait to hear from you all. My latest news is that I'm going to be a Gramma again early next March!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Leslie!!

Congratulations on going to be Grandma again!! What a joy in life Grandchildren are! It will be so nice for you to have the wonderful gift of life in your family. I can just hear the word baby, and smell that wonderful baby scent, feel the little arms and legs squiggling, and making that connection and bond with our next generation. How wonderful to stop and think of the new life that is coming into this world to see the sunrise, smell the fresh air and feel the wind across their face. True meaning that life must go on.

You take care, and stay in touch.

Peg

Nancy said...

Congrats on the new baby on the way... that is so exciting.

I love to hear that you have been at this a long time with so many long time blogging friend. It's encouraging to know that true longlasting friendships can develop this way. Good luck in finding everybody!

Jo said...

Leslie, those were the day's weren't they? Boy, did we get into some cat fights on the SB blog with some of the other folks, who shall remain nameless. But we also forged some great friendships, and most of us have never even met!

Dr. Oma was quite the character, and she never minced her words. I got quite a kick out of her. I'm sorry to hear she has passed away.

As Peg says, life must go on. Congratulations(!) on your new little expected addition to your family.

Cheers,
Josie

Leslie: said...

Hi Peg and Nancy (& you too Josie!) it's so good to hear from you. I'm so sad, though, that it had to be because of the death of one of the original bloggettes. But I think she (Ellen) would appreciate that she gave us all that nudge to get in touch again. Hopefully, we can all start over without the need for someone who shall remain nameless being the motivator. Let's motivate ourselves to become a great force in female friendships.

Ruth L.~ said...

Congratulations on the upcoming birth!

And I'm sorry you lost a friend. I don't know what SB is and all the history you have, but you're right about the importance of girlfriends.

I hope you manage to reconnect with many.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I often remember the very first responder to my blog (excluding the people I already knew). Her words were simple and kind, "I like your blog." So I went to hers and learned about a sad life filled with cancer and suicide. After a couple of responses back and forth, she simply decided to move on. I often wonder how she's doing. Nice to hear that you're reconnecting with your original group. Good luck!

beachgirl said...

What a nice invitation Leslie,
Franny is down visiting right now. So as you can tell. We have made some great friendships thru the bloggs.
Ellen's death has affected us all so much.

Have an awesome week and congratulations on your new grandchild.

Leslie: said...

HI CAROL, say a BIG HI to Franny for me, too. Hope you guys are having fun in the sun. Yes, Ellen's death has reconnected some of us and I really truly hope that we will all stay in touch more than we have done lately. Everyone's always welcome over here - I keep my blog going on a lot of different topics (e.g. my family, news events, fun quizzes, etc.) and I've met so many more people this way - just like Sylvia, Enid, Peg et al. Are you still driving the convertible or the motorcycle? What are you doing for work now? I thought I heard you'd finished at the airline because of a hurt arm??? See...we're not keeping in touch enough. How's Grams?

Pear tree cottage! said...

Leslie, I do so very much hope all those girls make contact with you and that you can chat about and remember your dear friend with much laughter and tears.....She must have been a very special lady how lucky to have friends like you all.

Congratulations to you on being a grandma again that is so wonderful....we are about to have our "9th" grandchild this November and we know it is a little girl and she is so SO! loved already. She will be a little sister to Big brother Jesse and Big sister Florence.

I love to see the little ones riding their bikes in safety and Noah looks like he was having the "best" fun.

I am so pleased you visited me today Leslie....you are my kind of friend!! lol lol lol

Lee-ann

heiresschild said...

hi leslie, this is a beautiful post. i like the picture--cute, and it represents us well. i hope my tribute and reflections re ellen didn't sadden you too much. i was trying to write how i viewed her and us thru my eyes.

congrats on becoming a grandma again. i know you all are so excited. this will be noah's little sister or brother?

someone else said...

Congratulations on the new grandbaby coming!

What are the bloggettes?

Leslie: said...

The Bloggettes:

Over 2 years ago, a group of women met on a blog started by someone who called himself the "Senior Bachelor." His blog then got a lot of us to make our own blogs and we've been communicating ever since. If you want to see who "he" is, check out http://www.seniorbachelor.com/

His whole endeavour seems to have fizzled now, but the one success it did have was to help so many women make a lot of new friends around the world. There have been lots and lots in the USA and Canada and best of all, Josie right here in my own city. And it was with "him" and other ladies that I travelled in Italy last year, too. After that, I went to Wales and met Jane in person after having blogged and emailed with her since that time.

It was a great fun experience but a lot of us have drifted apart only to have been stunned with the recent death of Ellen. Some of us are trying to now reconnect.

someone else said...

Thanks for the explanation. That's fascinating!

I'm glad you enjoyed Italy through me, as well. :)

heiresschild said...

i didn't know you were traveling with rr and some others during your italy trip leslie. i actually thought you went by yourself and met up with someone else later on.